SeleniumConf is a friendly conference where everyone should feel welcome, safe and comfortable to share ideas and engage in open discussion without the threat of intimidation or public humiliation. It’s really important for us to provide a harassment-free experience for everyone at the conference inclusive of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, nationality or religion.
All attendees, speakers, sponsors and staff are required to abide by our code of conduct at SeleniumConf or at any other Selenium Project conferences and meetups, whether in-person or online. Any violations will be dealt with seriously and may include being expelled and banned from events or online spaces without a refund. This is to protect the safety of our community – please be respectful in person and on social media towards other attendees, speakers, organizers and staff
What do we mean by “harassment”? Harassment includes but isn’t limited to:
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neurotype, physical appearance, body size, race, age, nationality, religion or belief, marital and civil partnership status, pregnancy or carer or parental status, familial status, veteran status, citizenship
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment
- Homophobic, biphobic, transphobic, racist, or misogynist slurs or comments
- Physical contact without consent or after a request to cease
- Threats or acts of violence or intimidation
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Sharing/displaying sexual or sexualized images
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Advocating for or encouraging any of the above behaviors
We prioritize the safety of marginalized people over privileged people’s comfort. This means we reserve the right not to act on complaints regarding:
- Reverse-isms, including ‘reverse racism’, ‘reverse sexism’, and ‘cisphobia’
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone”, “go away”, “I’m not discussing this with you”
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to stop immediately.
Participants engaging in harassing behavior may be asked to leave an event or online space and may be banned temporarily or indefinitely. If a ticket was purchased for an in-person or online event, we reserve the right not to issue a refund.
If harassment occurs outside an event or online space organized by the Selenium Project that may impact the safety of our community, we reserve the right to investigate and take appropriate action, for instance banning from future events.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of conference staff immediately. Conference staff can be identified by their t-shirts. We will be happy to assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the conference, for example by providing escorts or contacting police should this be required.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all conference venues and conference-related social events.